Course 5: Home-based Care and Isolation for COVID-19
The goal of this course is to provide community-based health workers with guidance on how to advise community members on home-based care for COVID-19. This course identifies community-based health workers as people working to address the public health of their communities (for example, community health workers, community health volunteers, health facility workers, health educators / trainers, and health project managers).
The course will cover how to determine eligibility criteria for home-based care and isolation. We will also cover how to support people with COVID-19 in their homes if they meet these criteria, including virtual support (telehealth) and support from their caregivers.
- Explain the purpose of home-based care and isolation for patients with COVID-19.
- Determine who is eligible for home-based care and how they can monitor their symptoms at home using a self-assessment toolkit.
- Define the role, responsibilities, and expectations of caregivers when caring for people with COVID-19.
- Advise caregivers on the critical steps they must take to safely care for people with COVID-19 in their homes, including the setup of an isolation room and the use of PPE and disinfectants.
- Use telehealth techniques during virtual home visits for COVID-19.
- Identify the critical steps for conducting safe home visits with people who have COVID-19.
- Describe the different wrap-around services that people with COVID-19 may require and how to refer them.